- FIRST: Students will select from three categories, including 1) Paragraph, 2) Rhetorical Strategy, and 3) Transcendental Principal. Use the "paragraph" category to chart/track where the strategies are coming from, the "rhetorical strategy" to identify the "what", and the "transcendental principal" to explain the "why" and the "how".
- SECOND: Overview WHAT, HOW, and WHY. Then they will find the WHAT by selecting 1 quote/paragraphs exemplifying their Rhetorical Strategy. Next, they will complete the HOW by how the rhetorical device is meant to affect the the audience. Lastly, they will complete the WHY by explaining how the use of the strategy promotes their Transcendental Principal to readers.
- THIRD: Each student will write his/her own paragraph answering the question: How does Louv promote a modern view of Transcendental Principals through Rhetorical Strategy?
For The Project:
Work together in groups of your your own choosing (4 students at the max, 3 at the min).
Project - 20 minutes
Transcendentalists hoped to help people better their lives by joining nature to explore individuality and enlightenment. To attain this goal, their writings provide advice for their readers concerning important lifestyle choices. Students will create a Self-Improvement Product or Strategy, for which they will develop a filmed advertisement or public services announcement (PSA).
Sample Video: Locavorism
The Advertisement must meet the following criteria:
- 1-4 minutes in length
- Promotes a Self-Improvement Product or Plan of Action by clearly explaining what it is, how it works, why it works, and why people should use it.
- Utilizes at least three different advertisement strategies to make their video more persuasive.
- Utilizes rhetorical strategies that promote Ethos, Pathos, and/or Logos.
- Before presenting their videos, students will need to explain why they selected their product/plan of action AND how they achieved the listed requirements in their video. Therefore, the end presentation will be approximately 10 minutes long.